Wade and I were recently invited to stay at the Hofsas House and experience the charming town of Carmel-by-the-Sea. Little did we know, we had never actually been there before. We had been to Carmel, Carmel Valley and even the neighboring 17 Mile Drive which winds through Pebble Beach, but somehow we missed this quaint little 1X1 square mile of food, wine, shopping, beach, art and fun! I am so happy to have had this opportunity because Carmel-by-the-Sea is now one of my favorite places on earth and I can’t wait to go back!
The charming Hofsas House has shared 6 decades of European hospitality with travelers from all over the world!
This festive mural was done in 1957 by family friend and local artist Maxine Albro and welcomes guests when they arrive. Maxine painted with Diego Rivera and some of her other work can be seen in the lobby and in room 47.
There are 38 Bavarian inspired rooms at The Hofsas House and they are a PET FRIENDLY hotel! We had room 29 which is one of the largest and has 2 bathrooms, a fireplace, a large balcony facing the ocean, a kitchenette and a pull out couch.
The Wine & Cheese package was the perfect way to start our trip after a 5 hour drive! After we settled in we walked a few blocks to The Grill on Ocean Avenue for dinner. It was cozy and delicious. The highlight of the meal was fresh, locally caught Sand Dabs from Monteray Bay.
I really enjoyed relaxing on the spacious balcony after a day in the car!
The view is absolutely stunning so request a room at the top facing the ocean!
Our bedroom was simple and clean and reminded me of staying at my grandmothers beach house. The Hofsas House was started by now owner/operator Carrie’s grandmother Donna in 1957 and has been family owned and operated ever since. Carrie started working with her grandmother at age 8 escorting guests to their rooms. So cute!
The Hofsas House offers a complimentary continental breakfast every morning that you can enjoy in the lobby or take back to your room.
There are no addresses on the buildings in Carmel-by-the-Sea and all of the signs are wooden to keep the charming village feel. The city also requires a permit to wear high heels over 2 inches and you can obtain a free one at City Hall. The local police don’t cite for this violation as the law was set in the 1920’s to protect the city against lawsuits from women falling on the uneven sidewalks caused by the many trees given sanctuary here.
The next day we did the Wine Walk which is a self paced, self guided tour of the 14 tasting rooms nestled in-between the restaurants and shops of the 1X1 square mile of Carmel-by-the-Sea. (Wear comfy shoes!) You get 9 tasting cards for $65 (or $50 with a 1 night stay at The Hofsas House) and they don’t expire! It’s the perfect set up – food, wine and shopping without having to drive.
The picturesque beach of Carmel-by-the-Sea allows fire, dogs, and alcohol on the beach until 10pm. Bring on the picnics and bonfires! The Hofsas House offers a package that includes everything you need for a beach fire and S’mores!
This quaint little town has so many amazing art galleries. Pictured above is the Winfield Gallery which is also home to the Figge wine tasting room! A 2-in-1!
And a food photo. There must always be a memorable food photo. In between all the wine tasting we stopped for a bite to eat at Carmel Belle and had this simple, yet yummy avocado toast and truffled egg toast with melted cheese and asparagus. It was perfect and delicious to soak up the alcohol!
If you aren’t already planning your trip to The Hofsas House and Carmel-by-the-Sea here are a few more fun facts to seduce you!
The Hofsas House
* It’s a dog friendly hotel and the entire 1X1 sq mile city is dog friendly. This concept was actually started by Doris Day at the Cypress Inn.
* There is no charge for parking, wifi, and no resort fee which is charming.
* It’s within walking distance of everything in town.
* They can perfectly accommodate any group large or small and are one of the few hotels in the area with a poolside meeting room.
* They offer a variety of packages like The Family Reunions Package, The Beach Package, The Tail Wagging Package, The Wine and Cheese Package and a variety of other things to meet your needs.
Upcoming Events at The Hofsas House
* Fri. Nov 21st 5:30-7:00 Cima Collina wine and light bites for $15 and 100% of the proceeds go to Peace of Mind Dog Rescue
* Sat. Dec 7th 2:30 Make your own Gingerbread House fundraiser for the Carmel Library Foundation. $20 for kids and $10 for adults and includes a glass of wine for the adults.
* Clint Eastwood was the mayor from 1986-1988.
* Its a very safe city making it appealing for single travelers, especially women.
* Yearly events include an Antique Car Show and International Film Festival.
* It is close to hiking, wine, good food, whale watching, Monteray Bay, and Big Sur.
** Golfers tip-the single person secret-if you want to play Pebble Beach and not have to spend the $ to stay there call the day before or day of and see if you can get in with a group of 3.
Thank you to Carrie at The Hofsas House for your enthusiasm about this great town, your extensive knowledge and warm hospitality! We can’t wait to come back and visit you again!